Teignbridge is carbon neutral, with communities, economies and a natural environment that are sustainable, resilient and healthy.
To encourage and support Teignbridge District Council, town and parish councils, community groups, organisations and residents in the district to act together to:
1. Achieve carbon neutrality in Teignbridge by 2025.
2. Ensure Climate and Ecological Emergency declarations are reflected in all national and local government policies, decisions and activities.
3. Reduce and reverse the speed and effects of climate change and pollution.
4. Develop more sustainable lifestyles to regenerate and maintain biodiversity and ecosystems.
Practice – how we work
To realise our mission, we will work in the following ways:
1. Through a structure consisting of a coordinating group and action groups focusing on different action areas.
2. By establishing a carbon emissions baseline against which change can be measured.
3. By inviting, collating and assessing suggestions for actions from all organisations and individuals in Teignbridge, and forming a plan which will achieve our mission.
4. Closely with Teignbridge District Council members and officers.
5. In partnership with town and parish councils, communities and other organisations.
6. By inviting participation from individuals across Teignbridge who share our aim of achieving carbon neutrality and a healthy natural environment.
7. By actively pursuing ways of helping individual Teignbridge residents to understand and feel committed to the need for further action and ways in which we can all reduce our carbon and ecological footprints.
8. Only pursuing initiatives for local benefit that do not put the wellbeing of other communities at risk.
9. With openness, inclusivity, respect and democracy.
10. Promoting bold, innovative and far reaching initiatives that are also socially and financially sustainable.